Bernard Bernoulli – Day of the Tentacle Costume
Bernard Bernoulli is one of the main characters of Maniac Mansion 2 – Day of the Tentacle the classic game by LucasArts, which has most recently been remastered by Double Fine. Bernard has the look of a typical nerd but pair up with some of the other characters from the game and you’ll have a great group costume.
Starting from the top you can style your hair like a nerd or if you prefer you can pick up a nerdy looking wig.
Next, you’ll need a pair of nerdy glasses.
- RETRO NERD Geek Oversized BLACK Framed Spring Temple Clear Lens Eye Glasses – $6.50
- Newbee Fashion – “Retro” Unisex Squared Celebrity Star Simple Clear Lens Glasses – $10
- Classic Black Vintage Wayfarer Nerd Eyeglasses – $7
Don’t forget to tape up the bridge! Teflon tape would work great.
- Dixon Valve TTB75 PTFE Industrial Sealant Tape – $2.53
- Apache 99000322 1/2″ x 275′ Spool of Teflon Thread Seal Tape – $4.73
- ASCO 11-1033 PTFE Pipe Sealant Tape, 1/2-Inch x 100-Inch, White – $3
Grab yourself a white, short sleeved dress shirt in white (preferably with pocket).
- Lee Uniforms Men’s Short Sleeve Dress Shirt – $15
- Van Heusen Men’s Short-Sleeve Oxford Dress Shirt – $17
- Marquis Men’s Short Sleeve Solid Dress shirt – $17.25
- Gentlemens Collection Mens Short Sleeve Classic Fit Easy Care Dress Shirt – $20
Accessorize with a black bow tie. Over-sized would have the best look but a regular one would still work.
- Forum Novelties Clip on Bowtie – $5
- Formal Black Satin Banded Men’s Bow Tie – $8
- Men’s Solid Color Clip On Bow Tie – $7.19
What’s a nerd without his trusty pocket protector? Grab a yellow one if you can. Don’t forget the ink pens!
- KLOUD City® Assorted Colors Pocket Protector for Pen Leaks – $7
- Cosmos ® 3 Pieces Classical White Pocket Protector for School Hospital Office – $5.66
Throw on any old black belt you have.
- Sportoli™ Mens Classic Stitched Genuine Leather Uniform Belt – $13
- Columbia Men’s Trinity 35mm Feather Edge Belt – $15
So for the pants you have some options. Personally, I would just grab any pair I already have that’s a dark gray/charcoal color. I would simply roll/fold the legs up underneath and then pin them so it looks like you have high water pants. Alternatively, you could pick up a pair of pants but get an inseam size that’s too short for you. So if you have a 32 inseam, you could try a pair of 30 inseam pants. Sounds like it could work. Third option would to actually hem up a pair of pants.If you did it by hand you could probably undo the hem after your done with the costume.
- Dockers Men’s Easy Khaki D1 Slim-Fit Flat-Front Pant – $30
- Carhartt Men’s Blended Twill Work Chino Pant – $30
- Dickies Men’s Original 874 Work Pant – $20
- Dockers Men’s Signature D3 Classic-Fit Flat-Front Pant – $37
Definitely go with the white gym socks.
- Hanes Men’s 6-Pack Cushion Crew Socks – $7.94
- Hanes Men’s 10-Pack Classics Cushion Crew Socks – $15.61
- Gold Toe Men’s Cotton Crew Athletic Sock 6-Pack – $13
Finish off the look with some brown loafers/slip-on shoes.
- Alpine Swiss Mens Dress Shoes Leather Lined Slip on Loafers – $35
- Deer Stags Men’s Fit Slip-On Loafer – $30
- Deer Stags Men’s Goal Slip-on – $44.30
There are some nerdy costume bundles that might make things easier. Quality could be hit or miss though.
- Adult Nerd Costume Kit (Includes: taped glasses, wig, pocket protector, buck teeth, paper shredded tie.) – $14.65
- Instant Nerd Kit (Includes: taped eyeglasses, Pocket Protector & Nerd Squad Button) – $6.13
- Rubies Instant Nerd Costume Accessory Kit (Includes: Pocket protector, thick rimmed glasses, and novelty teeth) – $9.56